Contact

Timothy M. Murphy
1749 W. Golf Rd. Box 319
Mount Prospect, IL 60056
Email: tim@cutofthemurphy.com


Tuesday, September 25, 2012

What the Hell is the Murphy?

"Murphy," or "Murphy game," according to the New Partridge Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English - "a swindle involving a prostitute and her accomplice, usually entailing robbing the prostitute's customer."

The natural question is, then, why would I call my blog "Cut of the Murphy?"  The obvious answer is that like the "Murphy man" who wants his "cut" of the take, hopefully readers will come here from time to time for their requisite portion of whatever it is I have to say (and my name is Murphy, see?)

But in truth, the reason for the name is somewhat more significant that just my half-assed attempt to be clever.  Consider the poor victim of the Murphy game; he thought he was about to get a little fun, a little action, maybe get a bit of wholesome sinning done, and instead, he got cracked on the head and had his wallet lightened.

Now, consider us all: born into this world so full of promise, so open to possibilities, heads full of dreams and ideas about the good life, our good lives, and all of the things we'll see and do and accomplish.  Then, whack! right upside the head.  Every one of us, and I mean every last one of us, has felt that headache, the rug being pulled out from under us, the sequence of tragedies, disasters, annoyances, setbacks, and things big and small that seem to get in the way of our quest for that little bit of amusement, that small sense of accomplishment, that thing that makes us feel rewarded for all we did (or maybe just intended to do).

I've sure as hell noticed this, and I'm sure you have, as well.  And if you are a thinking person, and you almost certainly are, you must spend time thinking about how to avoid the bad, and get your share of the good, and do those two things on a more or less regular basis.  I think about it a lot, and that's what this blog will, hopefully, be about.  There are a lot of things that one needs to know, and see, and do, and feel, and understand, in order to progress in their pursuit of the good life.  In the end, they say that life is about the journey, not the destination, and I'll be using this space to write about my journey, and the things I think you need to pay attention to along your journey.

It is my hope that by writing about these things, I may come to understand the world I live in, and myself, just a little bit better.  While I'm not arrogant enough to assume my words could do the same for you, I also hope you'll at least find something useful, or something that makes you smile, somewhere along the way.

Thank you for reading, and I hope you'll feel free to comment at any time, on any post.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Tim


No comments:

Post a Comment